Your HSBC Cards are a safe and easy way to pay abroad. Here are some simple tasks you should do before you leave to make sure your holiday runs smoothly.
Before you leave:
1. Check the expiry date on your HSBC card.
2. Make sure you have enough funds in your account and/or an available credit limit.
3. Update your latest contact details with us, so that we can get in touch with you easily.
4. Write down the useful phone numbers shown in the right hand grey box incase you need to contact HSBC.
Carrying your HSBC Card is much safer than carrying cash and your pockets won't be weighed down with foreign currency. Here are some simple tips for carrying and using your HSBC Debit and Credit Cards when travelling abroad.
1. Monitor your card activity and contact HSBC immediately if you notice any fraudulent activity on your Card(s).
2. Never share your PIN with anyone, including bank personnel and shopkeepers.
3. In case of Card theft or loss, please call us and report card loss immediately and also report it to the local authorities.
4. On hotel check-out and car rental return, please cancel all authorizations obtained for advance reservations.
1. Try not to leave all your cards in the same place – that way you won't lose everything.
2. Keep the useful phones numbers at hand at all times in case you need to contact HSBC.
3. While using an ATM machine or when paying with your HSBC Card, be discreet while entering your PIN and beware of the people around you.
4. Keep all receipts to check against your statements – do not leave your receipt at the ATM Machine.
When abroad there are a few things you should know about the foreign exchange charges that may be applied.
Using your card in a country with a different currency means that we will have to convert the amount back to your accounts primary currency (usually dirhams) using the applicable exchange rate and this will incur a processing fee. The transaction plus the fee will show as one amount on your statement and therefore will not be the same as the amount you spent or withdrew.
Credit cards fees per transaction from outside of the UAE*
|Foreign currency exchange rate||The exchange rate as applied by MasterCard / Visa|
|Foreign currency processing fee**||2.75%||2.75%||2.80%||2.80%||2.80%|
|Withdrawals from your Current/Savings Account at an HSBC ATM abroad||Free||AED 10||AED 10||AED 10||AED 10|
|Withdrawals from your Current/Savings Account through a VISA/Plus, Master/Cirrus ATM abroad||AED 20||AED 20||AED 20||AED 20||AED 20|
|Cash advance fee each time you withdraw from an ATM||3% of total amount (minimum AED 100)|
** A processing fee will be charged for international / foreign currency transactions (i.e. any transaction not in your billing currency). Such transactions will first be converted to your billing currency at the applicable foreign currency exchange rate. The processing fee will be charged as a percentage of the transaction amount , after it has been converted to the billing currency using this applicable rate.
Debit Cards fees per transaction from outside of the UAE*
|Cash withdrawal at HSBC ATMS in GCC Countries (per transaction)||NIL||NIL||AED 6|
|Cash withdrawal at GCC Net ATMs in GCC Countries (per transaction)||NIL||AED 10||AED 10|
|Cash withdrawal Usage Fee at VISA / PLUS ATMs (per transaction)||AED 20||AED 20||AED 20|
|Foreign currency processing fee (Purchases and Cash Withdrawals)*||2%||2%||2%|
|Foreign currency exchange rate||The exchange rate as applied by Visa|
* A processing fee will be charged for international / foreign currency transactions (i.e. any transaction not in your account currency). Such transactions will first be converted to your account currency at the applicable foreign currency exchange rate. The processing fee will be charged as a percentage of the transaction amount, after it has been converted to the account currency using this applicable rate
*For more information about our fees & charges visit HSBC Schedule of Services and Tariffs