Trying to find the right change in your wallet or carrying a large amount of cash around with you when you are travelling, can be a hassle. Instead, just carry your HSBC Debit Card and enjoy paying for all your purchases or use it for cash withdrawals.
HSBC Debit Cards are designed to provide you with the convenience and security you need when you are travelling. Other benefits are:
- Withdraw cash at over 1 million ATMs worldwide
- Make purchases at over 25 million outlets worldwide
- Stay protected with your 6 digit PIN
- Microchip technology makes transactions faster
- Shop on-line securely with the Verified by Visa® security feature
General banking terms and conditions, and, fees & charges apply.
Your HSBC Debit Chip Card is embedded with a microchip (Chip). PIN is a 6-digit Personal Identification Number issued by the Bank. You can select or change your HSBC Debit Card PIN by using your Phone Banking PIN. Cards with Chip technology are harder to copy and help safeguard against counterfeiting. When used together with your 6-digit PIN, using your HSBC Debit Chip Card is much more secure than using a Card with a magnetic stripe and signature.
Your HSBC Debit Chip Card can be used for purchases at retail outlets and at ATMs together with your 6-digit PIN. Please note, due to the fact that not all retail outlets are equipped to handle Chip card transactions, you may be required to sign for the transaction instead of being asked to enter the PIN.
Additional benefits for HSBC Premier and HSBC Advance Debit Cardholders
VISA payWave technology
Your HSBC Debit Chip Card is programmed with contactless 'Visa payWave' technology. Save time by just waving your HSBC Debit Card in front of the payWave reader for small value purchases. You may not be required to enter your PIN or sign for the transaction. This feature is currently available only at select outlets.
Purchase Protection and Extended Warranty Insurance
Purchases made through HSBC Premier and HSBC Advance Debit Chip Cards are protected under the complimentary comprehensive Purchase Protection and Extended Warranty Insurance*. Purchases are automatically insured against theft or damage and have Extension of the manufacturer's or retailers warranty for up to 24 months from the purchase date.
* The insurance is arranged and offered by Visa International and subject to Terms & Conditions of Visa International. Please click here to view the Terms and Conditions of Visa International.
HSBC will not be responsible or liable for any compensation, processing of claims or otherwise
Can I use my HSBC Debit Chip Card to pay for goods and services?
Yes, you can use your HSBC Debit Chip Card to pay for everyday purchases wherever the VISA logo is displayed. Your HSBC Debit Chip Card is accepted at over 28,000 retail outlets in the UAE and over 25 million retail outlets worldwide.
Can I use my HSBC Debit Chip Card overseas?
Your HSBC Debit Chip Card is accepted globally, giving you easy access to your Bank Account at over 1 million ATMs and over 25 million retail outlets all over the world.
Where can I withdraw cash?
You can withdraw cash from your Bank Account by using your HSBC Debit Chip Card at:
- Any HSBC ATM worldwide
- Over 1,000 ATMs in the UAE displaying the UAE Switch logo
- Over 1 million ATMs globally displaying the VISA/Plus logo
- Cash withdrawals made with your HSBC Debit Chip Card from HSBC ATMs within the UAE are free of charge
- Cash withdrawals made through HSBC ATMs outside the UAE and through non-HSBC ATMs in the UAE and overseas may be subject to network fees and transaction charges
- Daily cash withdrawal and retail transaction limits will also apply based on the type of Account you hold with HSBC. These limits will vary in relation to the ATM network being used
What services are available at HSBC ATMs?
Your HSBC Debit Chip Card offers you a wide range of free banking services at HSBC ATMs including:
- Cash withdrawals
- Account balance enquiry
- Transfer funds between your own accounts
- Transfer funds to third party accounts within HSBC UAE
- Transfer of funds to your HSBC Non-Resident Accounts
- Make payments to your HSBC Credit Card via the 'transfer' option
- Access to multiple local HSBC Accounts provided your HSBC Debit Card is linked to those accounts
- Print mini-statements
- Change your PIN
- Utility bill payments
- Ability to deposit cash and cheques at select HSBC ATMs to your Bank Account or Credit Card Account
Can I access my other HSBC accounts?
You can access multiple HSBC Accounts using your HSBC Debit Chip Card provided the Card is linked to those accounts.
How are my HSBC Debit Card transactions processed?
The time it takes for a card transaction (which may include a payment or cash withdrawal) to be processed from your Account depends on whether the transaction occurred in the UAE or outside of the UAE and what currency is used for the transaction.
Once a transaction occurs, we may place a hold on funds in your Account pending receipt of information from the retailer. This may mean that we debit your Account sometime after your card transaction occurred. If this happens and there are insufficient funds in your Account to make the payment, we will usually call you and ask you to fund your Account before debiting the payment.
Can I get cards for my family?
As Additional HSBC Debit Chip Cards will be issued to Joint Account Holders only, family members who have joint accounts with you can be issued HSBC Debit Chip Cards.
How can I protect my HSBC Debit Chip Card?
Your HSBC Debit Chip Card is for your personal use only. Never permit any other person, including family members, to use your Card.
If your HSBC Debit Chip Card is lost or stolen please report it immediately to our 24-hour Phone Banking line. Once reported, your Card will be cancelled immediately and HSBC will arrange for a replacement Card (charges apply) to be delivered to you.
If your HSBC Debit Chip Card is found or returned to you after it has been reported lost or stolen, please DO NOT USE THE CARD. Please destroy the Card by cutting it in half across the magnetic stripe and Chip.
Always retain your sales slip so you can cross-check it against the Card transaction appearing on your bank statement. If you see a charge or entry that you do not recognise, Contact HSBC immediately on our 24-hour Phone Banking line.
How can I protect my HSBC Debit Chip Card PIN?
- Always select a six-digit PIN that you can easily remember, but is difficult for others to guess. Memorise your PIN without writing it down
- Your PIN is used for cash withdrawals at ATMs and in retail outlets where the PIN is required to complete the sales transaction
- Never reveal or quote your PIN to anybody including HSBC staff or in any correspondence over the phone or on the internet
- Always shield the keypad when you enter your PIN to ensure others must not see it
- Change your PIN frequently. You can do this at any HSBC ATM in the UAE or by calling 800 CARD PIN (800 2273 746). If overseas, call +971 4 354 4579
- If you forget your PIN, please call 800 CARD PIN (800 2273 746) to select a new PIN. If overseas, call +971 4 354 4579
What are the important numbers to remember?
HSBC Personal Banking
600 55 4722 (Within the UAE)
+9714 366 9090 (Outside the UAE)
800 4420 (Within the UAE)
+971 4 3254573 (Outside the UAE)
800 4320 (Within the UAE)
+9714 221 4100, +1 908 7736437 (+1 908 PREMIER) (Outside the UAE)
With my HSBC Debit Card, are ATM transactions debited immediately from my Account?
For retail outlet purchases, we will place a hold on your Account for the value of your purchases until we have processed the transaction. These transactions will be normally debited from your Account within 30 working days from the date of your transaction, at which point the hold ceases.
All your HSBC Debit Chip Card transactions will appear on your bank statement, detailing the transaction date and retail outlet. You must let us know if you dispute anything on your statement within 30 days of the statement date. If you do not Contact HSBC within the 30 day period, we will assume that you agree with the contents of your statement and we will not usually investigate or correct any disputed entries unless we think we may have made an error.
Can I use my HSBC Debit Card for online transactions?
Yes, your HSBC Debit Card can be used for online transactions. We have partnered with Visa® to provide you with an additional layer of online shopping security with participating merchants when using your HSBC Debit Card.
Further details are contained in the HSBC Personal Banking General Terms and Conditions (UAE) which are available on our website at www.hsbc.ae.